Contemplating Things

It's been 13 days since I last worked. Originally by choice; I took last week off because I was fairly sick but have gotten somewhat better and feel ready to return to work. Unfortunately work has decided it is not ready for me haha. Monday was a pupil free day which was great! I went to the beach with my mother, sister, her three kids and my dog. I had a lot of fun swimming and playing in the water with niece. I was even good and went to bed early so I was prepared for an early morning call telling me where I was working that day, no call. So last night I went to bed early again (very unusual and hard for me!) and this morning still no call. So now I have 2 days left to get work otherwise my next payslip will be a big fat $0! I have never had that happen before so I wonder if they would even bother sending a payslip out. After this week there is only 7 more weeks left of the school year, which is about 3 or 4 paydays left before we break for 2 months so I need to start working hard and earning some money because I wouldn't be getting paid for the break. Kind of sucks how the one time of the year a relief teacher doesn't get the chance to earn any money is the same time of the year there is a lot of expenses to be paid with Christmas then New Years and then my birthday.
There was an article in my local newspaper's employment section today talking about which carers have skill shortages at the moment. And you guessed it! Education was listed as one of the top jobs where there isn't enough people. Are politicians blind or just plain stupid (please feel free to answer that!) because they are also talking about paying people to go to university to study education (nothing new they have been talking about it for a while) but I want to know how they can just blindly ignore all the fully qualified unemployed teachers there all ready is! The truth is classes are getting more and more over populated and it is not benefiting anyone. Why don't they just bring in more full time teachers so they can have smaller (or at least stay under the legal limit of children in a class many schools seem forced to ignore) classes. That way children get more attention they need and teachers actually get employed. But I guess that would be too easy. I graduated two years ago and in that time only one person that was in our Early Childhood group is now a permanent teacher. Out of the Primary graduates of my year I know only a few of them are permanent too. Some have become so disgruntled at it they have already left the profession. Just today I was talking to a friend who graduated with me and she has decided to go back to university to study for her Masters degree, not because she wants to continue her studies (she is not looking forward to returning to uni at all) but she hopes that when she finishes it will lead to other work opportunities that aren't too far away from what she originally wanted to do.
I have been looking at university courses online too (have been on and off for a while now) but the thing is I don't know what else I would want to do. And I think it would be horrible to just throw away four, long, hard years at uni studying for it. I started studying childcare when I was in year 11 and after high school went straight to uni to study teaching. I wanted to be a teacher and still do. But being a relief teacher can be hard work (don't get me wrong there is great bits too, it's good pay and if you get a bad class at least you only have them hopefully one day) and after a while it does make you question if you really want to keep doing it and if so for how long.
I love how I always think I don't really have much to write about and then it always turns into a rant haha it's very therapeutic!
Miss Snix.

1 comments:

Maestro said...

There were a few times when I contemplated doing something else with my life. But whatever else I might have done... I think I would have always regretted leaving the teaching profession. Of course, some people go that route and it ends up being a good thing. It's hard to say.

If you know in your heart that you were meant to be a teacher, stick with it.