Verbally Attacked!

Today I had a grade one class and this morning I just walked into the classroom door when a parent came up behind virtually yelling at me that she didn't want me taking her daughters class because I was very mean and nasty to the class (I had them three days last week and her daughter was very well behaved, but they did have a different teacher the day before, so I probably taking the flack for them!) she went on about her not liking me screaming at the kids, I interrupted her and 'politely' told her I have never screamed at a child as I think that is unprofessional and personally I wouldn't do it. She responded "Well. . . maybe you haven't but I have seen another supply teacher do it and I know you lot are all the same" She went on and on about how her child hates me and didn't want to go to school today (the kids didn't even know I was taking them today though). She finished off by saying "I have already spoken to all the other parents outside about you so now I am telling you to your face!" I finally got rid of her and later in the day spoke to her daughter, who is lovely and kept telling me knock knock jokes all day (clearly hating me - not lol) and found out she is being bullied by some girls in the class (but do you think the mother would want to hear that? No! Heaven forbid that is the reason she doesn't want to go to school. No, it's the teacher who hasn't had them all weeks fault!) I told the two SEU teachers who came in to help me today and they were appalled and said they would speak to the normal teacher next time she is there. They also came back before the bell in the afternoon to 'guard the door' for me lol I knew the parents at the school were bad (yesterday at lunch the ones and two teachers who I have lunch with were saying how rude they were) but I never imagined I would be verbally attacked by one over something I never did. It is so stupid but it has really upset me. I was meant to be working there tomorrow but made up a lie about having a dental appointment, The principal wasn't impressed saying I was on contract and I couldn't break it (my contract finished yesterday and I already took the Monday off anyway). Aghh! I am over it. I am going to have a nice LONG weekend and hopefully have a nice, pyhco-parent-free time next week.

1 comments:

Maestro said...

Ohhhh man, I am SO sorry you had to go through that. Angry parents are a professional hazard... but it certainly isn't fun when they find you. I have some psycho parent stories that would make your blood boil. A few of them made me wonder if I really wanted to teach. Alas... here I am.

Funny you should post this. I have an angry parent I think I'm going to have to deal with on monday (it's on my blog). Fun.

But you know what? It's like one of my colleagues once told me:

"It's easy for them to hate you when they don't know you. The people who do know you love you more."