Unemployed

Well I wanted to write a blog at the end of last week but nothing overly interesting happened, it was just a normal regular week. The complete opposite of this past week! It seems so much has happened this week. The week started out with a fun mini excursion to the golf course as a reward for the kids great behaviour. The next day was a very big day, we had an excursion to an Island and were there all day walking around (it is a national park and has no buildings or walking tracks!) all day. It was so beautiful over there! And the kids had such a great time exploring it. Then we also had sports day, which meant another whole day in the sun. I now officially have some of the weirdest suntan marks lol
The teacher who I have been replacing also came to visit this week, and I accidentally overheard her talking with another staff member about how nice it was that her friend will be taking over her class (the one I've been teaching!) for the rest of the year. I was a little stunned hearing this since the whole time I had been told I was most likely to be offered the job for the rest of the year. I was surprised at how upset I got over this (a lot of tears were shed!) I don't think it was so much not being offered the job that got to me but more the fact that a decision had been made and I hadn't been told. The next day at school parade I was thanked for teaching the class and the school was told a new teacher would be taking over next term (at this point still no one had said anything to my face and this was how I was officially being told!) All of my kids looked straight at me, and a few got upset later on. I don't think it was fair to spring it on them on the last day but then again I think it would have been nice to have told me at some point too! The teacher replacing me came in for an unexpected visit and expected me to tell her about how everything runs while I was in the middle of teaching the class. I stopped and explained things to her and introduced her to the class. After saying hello to the class she went on about being good friends with their original teacher (like I don't know how she got the job and as if it didn't tick me off!) I did however get some nice flowers and enjoyed a special morning tea with the other staff (a few other staff members were leaving too).
So now I am on holidays, which I thought I would be very happy about but I am still a little bit sad. It was hard saying goodbye to my class, I had only been there a short while but after being with them everyday it will be hard not to miss them. I also am now officially unemployed again. When school returns I will go back to relief teaching, which most the times I enjoy (love the pay!!!) minus a lot of the attitude you get because the kids know they only have you for one day.
Until next time, may all your days be teaching days!
Miss Snix.

4 comments:

Maestro said...

I see this too often... new teachers get treated like dispensable pieces of equipment. I'm really sorry for that.

Keep your spirits up, though... you'll be back in the classroom soon enough.

Billie's Mummy said...

Thanks. It's not that my contract came to an end that upset me, I have been on a lot of contracts before but it was the fact that I was told continually that I was getting the job and at the last minute they gave it to someone else. And they didn't even have the decency to tell me or let the kids know.

Q6 said...

At least you enjoy relief teaching, Snix. I know a lot of people who do it, complain about it, and continue to do it. If it's something that you enjoy, you have that, at least.

Doesn't stop you from looking for your own gig, though.

Ms Characterized said...

Oi, Miss Snix!

I'm sorry to hear about the bait-and-switch they pulled on you. The Universe, however, will find a way to get you to the place you need to be.

I know, I sound totally new-agey. Don't worry, Maestro and Q6 can vouch for my sincerity. Good things will come!