Two Weeks Already!

Well I have been in my current job for two weeks now. At times it has felt like the time is dragging out and other times it feels like time is flying by.
The first week was a very long week, getting to know the kids and all the stuff I need to know and do. The week ended with miserable weather causing us to have two days in a row of 'wet lunch' which meant I got to spend every single minute with the kids inside the classroom (I value my lunch breaks! lol) We also lost our afternoon inter-school sports on Friday. I only had half my class show up that day anyway (it was flooding) so hello video in the library! I also got to have fun of doing bus duty in the rain (just to make the day even more fun!) and then had to walk across the school to get to the car park, normally I park in front of the school but with the rain parents decided to be nice and drive their kids to school, so after going around the block three times I surrendered and parked in the staff car park which had minor flooding.
Thankfully the rain stopped and this past week was a nice one. I also am starting to enjoy my duties, I think I have the easiest one in the school. I am rostered on three times a week for 'first aid'. Basically I sit in the office answering any phone calls (haven't been any yet), give children ice, bandaids or decide if they get to have a lay down. It is a lot better than wondering around watching children and having to deal with their squabbles and telling them off for breaking rules. This week we also got to actually go to inter-school sports, so along with about twenty 9/10 year old girls I got to go to netball for 2 hours. Fun in the sun. I was meant to umpire a game but was lucky I was able to talk my way out of it (I used to play in primary school but haven't seen it since) but I think I might give it ago next week. The girls were actually really good, we had two teams and they won three of the four games they all played. Yay us.
Ohh and another 'fun' part of my week was when a teacher aid came and told me one of my students (he was in another class at the time) put his tooth through his tongue. I told another teacher about it and they were so shocked and concerned, and asked if I was worried about him. I wasn't though lol I know that's bad but I was busy teaching and oddly enough it didn't really surprise me. He was alright, he came back about ten minuets later with a great big hole in his tongue. Personally I thought it was impressive lol And it's been bugging me how he can eat without food getting stuck in it. He says it doesn't but I don't believe that lol Anyway that was the biggest highlight of my week.
Only three more weeks until the holidays and this is a long weekend, so there is only four days for this week. Have been asked if I would be interested in teaching the class for the rest of the year if the teacher they have lined up can't take the job. Most days I enjoy teaching the class and it is so nice to teach my own planning (not trying to make heads or tails of others plans) and know where I am going everyday. But at the same time I am working longer hours now (I even brought a box of books home to mark on the weekend!) and am getting more stressed at times I am making only half of the money I was as a supply teacher. Sometimes I miss supply; you walk in at 8.30am teach someone else's stuff (they normally make it easy for supply teachers) and then walk out a few minuets after the bell goes and don't have to worry about the class anymore, and get darn good money! I don't know what I'll decide, if the other teacher takes the job than it is nice and easy for me and I won't have to feel guilty for taking or not taking the job any longer.
Aghh it feels good to ramble lol
Catch you all later,
Miss Snix.

3 comments:

Maestro said...

"Netball" huh? Never heard of it. I do remember Dodgeball, however, which was all sorts of fun until the student casualties started piling up.

Billie's Mummy said...

Netball is like basket ball but you can't bounce the ball on have contact with the other players. The mothers on the sidelines are fun to watch though, they get a little too into it.

Q6 said...

Sounds like you're enjoying it. If you're going to make this a career, you certainly have the right attitude for it. Some might think that a "tooth through the tongue" injury, bus duty in the rain, and last-resort videos in two weeks is a lot--around here, we call that "Thursday."

It sounds like you're having fun, though.