Half a Day Never Felt So Long!

Today I had a grade four class for half the day. The first hour was okay, they rotated around maths games and I just had to supervise, they were all fairly well behaved and I didn’t really have to do much. Then at lunch I got to do duty (don’t I always!? lol) with the grade 6 and 7’s.

After lunch I took the class to watch the younger grades run their cross country. All they had to do was sit and cheer while the little children ran past, that’s it! Of course they rolled around, mucked around were just played up! I couldn’t take them back to the room either because we were surrounded by parents and other classes and were stuck on the wrong side of the running track. One of my girls even ran off into some bushes to ‘help the little ones run’, she never asked me and when I sent responsible girls to get her (several times) she told them she wasn’t coming back and didn’t care. I had to send a note to the office to get help and as we were finally going back to the room the deputy principal came down to look for her. Meanwhile back at the room I put a dvd on for the last 20mins and they sat there quietly watching it. . . why couldn’t we have just done that all afternoon!? The runaway also quietly snuck back into the classroom and the deputy came looking for her.

I only worked for three hours today but it was the longest three hours I have had in a long time! Thankfully there are only two more days until the holidays!

I also wrote an email tonight about my frustrations over still being a supply teacher after 3 years while I am seeing new graduates get permanent positions and full time contracts and how hard it is to survive on the lack of pay due to lack of work. I sent it to the head of my districts union and the state district officer, I doubt it’ll do much but I felt I needed to get my frustrations out. I know I am not the only one feeling this way, there are so many other teachers in my position. Anyway, will wait and see if I get a response.

Miss Snix.

0 comments: