Bullies!

Well I got an email today saying that I was accepted into the uni course - yay! But aghh back to study lol I will be getting a letter in the mail next week to officially tell me I have been accepted. Now I need to pick out 4 wonderful (better than picking boring ones!) classes to study!

Something that has been upsetting me for a while now is one of my nephews who is 11 years old and in grade 7 has been getting bullied at school. He is a really nice, friendly, normally happy-go -lucky boy but has been so upset by it all he has become very withdrawn and quiet. It seems 2 girls in his class have been picking on him for his weight (he is not over weight; just a bit bigger but he is also fairly tall) and since the principal was made aware of it didn't really do much to stop the situation but seems to have turned a blind eye to it, it has grown with other children following these girls lead thinking they are cool. My nephew was so upset and worried about it yesterday morning he was in absolute tears at the thought of going to school, so my sister (his Mum) allowed him not to go. I spent parts of yesterday and today with him, and it is like speaking to a different child; his confidence is just shattered to the point my sister is thinking of taking him to a councilor to talk about it (he tends to bottle things up until he gets that angry he just lets it out). I am just so upset that it has got this far and he is feeling this way and I also feel very angry that his teacher and principal know this is happening and have not made it stop.

School is meant to be a place children are able to go to and feel completely safe both physically and emotionally. Unfortunately there seems to be more and more bullying going on in schools these days and teachers/principals are kidding themselves if they think it is not happening in their school; I don't know what they think they are achieving by not putting a stop to it. In my nephew’s case it is happening in primary school, I can only imagine how bad things are in the high school years. I think children should be taught (which they are as far as I can see) that bullying is not accepted and that if they bully there will be consequences (which as far as I can see either there aren’t or they are light and the bullies just continue their behavior) so it does not gradually lead to getting out of hand.

Miss Snix.

1 comments:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Here in Texas as in many places it seems that the parents have so much more control than the institution that only the most obvious or serious cases are attempted to be dealt with. I do not tolerate bullying so much to the point that I'll make it hard on the bully. He's a young 7th grader according to our levels. I teach 5th and have ages between 9 and 11.